Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Heavy Medal

I ran the Dallas Rock N Roll Half Marathon on Sunday.  I had trained well for the race and was very excited, as I really enjoyed this race last year.  Unfortunately, it turned out to be a pretty tough race for me.  First of all, it was warm (mid to high 70s through most of the race) and humid.  Not ideal weather for me, especially not after training through the winter.  Plus, I forgot how to race and decided to start way to fast.  I had a great 5k time, too bad I still had 10 miles of racing in front of me.  Around the half way mark I started to fall apart.  My splits slowed dramatically.  I was hot.  I was tired.  At around mile 10 I was in pretty bad shape.  I was starting to get leg cramps and even felt goosebumps and chills. It felt like there were weights attached to my feet. Awesome.  In the end I finished in 1:46, just one minute shy of my goal and still a post-Jackson PR.  Definitely a success.  But it wasn't enjoyable and didn't feel like an accomplishment.  It was just too much work in that second half to be fun.  So here's hoping the next race has better weather and I remember the golden rule of starting at race pace. 

No comments: