Sunday, December 8, 2013

Icepocolypse 2013

We are in the middle of the craziest ice storm.  The entire city was blanketed by a very thick sheet of ice on Thursday and the temperatures have remained well below freezing ever since.





For most people this was a time to stay indoors, not even worry about the weather until it eventually melts. However, today was supposed to be the Dallas Marathon.  A marathon that I was very well prepared for, having run 1,000 intense training miles over the past few months.  But it's not like I woke up Sunday and realized I wouldn't be running, the forecast made it clear for days that we had an issue:

On Friday they delayed the opening of the Expo, mainly because the convention center was without electricity and the streets were impassable.  Then at some point on Friday afternoon they decided to cancel the race.  It was the right decision, but still a heartbreaking one for the many runners who were trained and ready to run.  I spent a stressful number of hours trying to decide what to do next.  I was in marathon racing shape, BQ trained, but with no where to race.  My best options were a small park out and back (x4) marathon nearby in a few weeks. Or Disney in January.  I have always wanted to run Disney, but extending my training 6 weeks and dealing with the logistics of traveling to a big race solo, I decided on running the local race.  With just 3 weeks to the new race day, and just coming off a taper, that meant that I need to get right back in to training.  So 16 brutally boring miles on my treadmill was now key:

The only thing that kept me going was the scary thought that this would be perfect preparation for the repetition of my upcoming new race.

No comments: