Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Allen NYE Marathon

Yesterday was the marathon. Marathon #10.  I was supposed to run the Dallas Marathon on December 8th, but the ice storm had other plans.  So I signed up for this local small marathon in Allen.  It was in a neighborhood park and the course was basically four out and backs.  I was super nervous about the size and the course.  I had never run a small marathon or run such a boring course.  The night before I decided to run with headphones, in an effort to avoid the obvious boredom.  I am thankful for that decision.  The marathon was fine, but it was extremely boring.  The course was pretty, but I didn't need to see it that many times.  The last lap was even tougher than I had anticipated, my legs were getting very tired and I knew exactly what I had in front of me.  While I know that I was in great marathon shape, I really had a tough time holding my pace in the last few miles.  I was giving it everything I had and couldn't get my legs to turn over any faster.  I never felt like I needed to stop or walk, just couldn't hold the pace.  In the end, I achieved my BQ goal with a 3:38:44 finish.  Yes that was cutting it way to close for comfort, but I gave it everything I had on that day.  We will have to wait until September to see if 76 seconds is enough to get me to the starting line in Hopkinton in April 2015.

Loved having Becca there to cheer me on!

All smiles....this must have been early!
Rounding the last corner, for the last time

The finish line...finally!

5th place overall; 2nd in my age group!

Very cool award/glass for 2nd place in my age group!
Thankfully Jackson was easy on me post race and enjoyed playing with new toys

No comments: